Blog Description

WHAT IS THE 365 BLOG CHALLENGE?
I own ALOT of Movies but Why? I go to ALOT of movies but Why? I watch ALOT of movies but Why? A movie a day for one year. that is my first 365 blog challenge. I am putting all my movies in a box and pulling them at random, including the ones owned by the wife.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

3. Robots

This is why I am doing this project. I own the movie Robots. I don’t remember where or why I bought this dvd but I did. It has been watched once since owning, and I didn’t choose to watch it. We have some very good friends come to visit and their children picked it one night to watch it. But there is no reason in the world for me to own Robots.

Don’t get me wrong. I enjoyed the movie. I think it’s creative. I laughed out loud at parts. I love the Robot doing the Robot (while bumpin’ Nelly!), I like the part where they are doing operation (like the game) on the robot and I think the small homage and cameo by James Earl Jones was great.  Ewan McGregor does his best to be sincere as Rodney trying to make it in the big world as an inventor.  Amanda Bynes is one of my favorites even if her part is small. It’s a good movie. Not great and not worth owning.

What bugged about the movie? Two things: First was Robin Williams. He was just so over the top in this. It seemed to me that not only did he go off script but spent the entire movie just trying to come up with one liners. Instead of just allowing a character to develop and naturally be funny he was almost too formulaic in his approach. It fell flat. For every 10 jokes he did, maybe one was funny.  But the Britney Spears dance was funny. Second, it really annoys me when children’s movies try to throw in jokes that are over a child’s head just to try and make the adults happy. Shrek did this all the time. I think a kid’s movie can be amazing and hilarious without throwing in risqué jokes. See Toy Story for example. 
 
Final Verdict: Good movie. Not worth owning.

Other tidbits
Paul Giammatti plays Timmy the Gate Guard, and he absolutely kills in the few scenes he is in. So funny.
Amanda Bynes is awesome and needs to do more movies.

13 comments:

  1. I have to disagree about Robin Williams' character. I think that he is supposed to be over the top. He is a robot living on parts that he can steal from other robots, he is literally falling apart, and everyone is out to get him because they stopped making parts for his model. Of course he is going to be over the top. I do agree about all the innuendo that doesn't need to be in there. After all it's a kids' movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw Robots at the theatre. I remember enjoying it. I couldn't tell you a thing about it now. It seems I remember Mel Brooks being a voice in it. I also remember the Playstation game being very hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one too! My kids love it. Not my favorite, but I don't hate it. I agree with you about there being too many adult jokes in kids movies. We don't need to be pandered to in order to enjoy what our kids are watching. On the other hand, I like smart movies that don't assume our kids are dumb, like Fantastic Mr Fox. It's smart but innuendo free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff. you are right. Brooks plays Bidwell the famous inventor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin Williams over the top? Isn't that kind of his 'thing'?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was ok but don't remember much of it. I agree though about kids movies. When I have kids they won't be able to watch a thing. lol!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually really like this movie. It has something for everyone. I think most people assume it's a kids movie just because it's animated, and even if it was intentionally made for kids, they have to also make it entertaining for the adults watching, or else, who's going to buy the movie? I know most kids don't have $20 laying around to go buy it. Robin Williams career runs on being over the top. I don't think people would like him if he wasn't. I know I wouldn't. I definitely think this movie is worth owning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We own it. My daughter Zoe likes it, I just asked her. She likes it when Rodney cross-dresses in hand-me-downs. I liked it visually: like futuristic retro. Giammatti provided the funniest parts for me. Still, we liked it so much we bought it for $5. YAYAY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked the movie but I'd have to agree, not really worth owning. I prefer Disney/Pixar movies... but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have seen the movie but honestly i wasnt impressed. the movie itself is kinda of weird and i didnt understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the film but the film (nor the many CGI films that have followed since "Toy Story") can't measure up to the talents of Pixar. There are some good CGI films out there outside the company but the thing that REALLY bothers me is the content put in the films. I heard it said by one CEO from somewhere (forgot where) that Pixar makes films for the kid in the grownup and other companies make films for the grownup in the kid. Probably an over-reaction on my part but I think there is some merit in that. But in the context of it being a film, it was enjoyable. Just not really memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Robin Williams is a oneliner unless we talking about good movies hes in while yes i like this movie it is different because i just think you know robin williams is doing a good job he just does alot of one liners like most of his childrens movies

    ReplyDelete
  13. overall a really fun movie to watch. Yes, Robin Williams plays another over the top character...so hat! He is very funny! I enjoyed the CGI and the fast pace of this flick. But, I do agree with Jimmy, movies that are made for younger audiences don't need to have all the bathroom humor and adult innuendo. Good rainy afternoon movie, but, I agree, not worth owning.

    ReplyDelete