Blog Description

WHAT IS THE 365 BLOG CHALLENGE?
I own ALOT of Movies but Why? I go to ALOT of movies but Why? I watch ALOT of movies but Why? A movie a day for one year. that is my first 365 blog challenge. I am putting all my movies in a box and pulling them at random, including the ones owned by the wife.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

143. Arthur

So I have to admit that I was intrigued and I thought that I would take a chance on the movie, Arthur. I say a chance because you never know what you are going to get with Russell Brand. He can be really funny and decent or he can be utterly perverted and filthy. What finally pushed me over the edge to try it was Helen Mirren. My wife is a HUGE Helen Mirren fan and she is a quality actress so I hoped that anything she was willing to co-star in wouldn't be a total piece of trash. Let me just say that my faith in Helen Mirren hasn't let me down!

In Arthur, Russell Brand plays the lead character by the same name. He is a spoiled, rich grown-up who insists on acting like a child. You could argue that this was due to the utter neglect of his mother and the early death of his father, but there is really no excuse for acting out at his age. Anyway, since he continues to act like a child his mother still employs his childhood nanny, Hobson, played by Helen Mirren to watch out for him. Let me tell you...Helen Mirren steals the show! She is curt and no non-sense and watches Arthur's back at all costs. She genuinely cares for him and it shows.

The plot thickens when Arthur's mother decides that she is tired of his non-sense and so he is either going to marry the girl she has chosen for him (Jennifer Garner) or she will disinherit him. Jennifer Garner's character is dominating and cares nothing about Arthur but agrees to marry him because she knows that she will be the top choice to run the family company because Arthur is so irresponsible. The only problem is that after Arthur agrees to his mother's horrible plan, he meets Naomi (Greta Gerwig) who quite possibly could be the love of his life. So he has a big decision to make. Will it be love or will it be money? As you can imagine, chaos insues.

Final Verdict: Worth Owning.

No comments:

Post a Comment