Blog Description

WHAT IS THE 365 BLOG CHALLENGE?
I own ALOT of Movies but Why? I go to ALOT of movies but Why? I watch ALOT of movies but Why? A movie a day for one year. that is my first 365 blog challenge. I am putting all my movies in a box and pulling them at random, including the ones owned by the wife.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

24. Poseidon

              Ah Disaster movies… They are the endless tales of the struggles of ordinary humans up against extraordinary odds.  Whether it’s an asteroid heading to earth or an outbreak of twisters in Oklahoma, I am sucker for this genre of movies.
  Poseidon is a remake of the classic Poseidon Adventure. This time instead of Gene Hackman in the starring role we get another basketball coach in the form of Josh Lucas (of Glory Road and Sweet Home Alabama fame) who plays Dylan. Dylan is an ex-navy officer who happens to be on the world’s largest cruise ship--The Poseidon. The passengers on the Poseidon have just celebrated the New Year when DISASTER hits in the form of a rogue wave. This rogue wave hits the ship and causes it to capsize but with people still alive on board. What will they do!??!?! How will they survive?!?!  WHAT IS FERGIE DOING IN THIS MOVIE!!??!!?
                We quickly learn that Dylan is a loner and an expert on ships. He decides he is not staying in the grand ballroom where they have been promised that “everyone will be safe”. He decides that he is going to climb up the bottom of the ship to get out on top which is now the bottom but is really the top now. Before he goes he is joined by our main core group of survivors including Kurt Russell, his daughter Emmy Rossum (of other disaster movies such as Day After Tomorrow and Phantom of the Opera), her fiancé and Richard Dreyfuss. They face many terrors on the path to the top. I won’t ruin the ending.
                I know what I describe sounds ludicrous, but it is a great action movie. Poseidon was directed but Wolfgang Peterson who also did Air Force One and the Perfect Storm. It is worth watching.

Final Verdict: As a huge fan of this genre it would be a Disaster not to own it!

5 comments:

  1. I actually like the first one a little better but nonetheless this one was really good to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have never actually seen this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a long time since I saw this movie, but I know if I had been trapped in a capsized boat I would be FREAKING OUT! I most certainly wouldn't be sitting around in the ballroom waiting to die.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this movie one time. Good disaster, suspense movie. I also saw the original (with Leslie Neilson as the captain) which was very good in it's own right. The two movies side by side ...plots, hello it's a remake! effects, both, really good based on the level of tech at the time they were made. acting, solid in both. I do know a little tidbit on this newer one, in several of the scenes the actors were in water for several hours and the director wanted true panic for their character, so he had the way out locked and had the water rise faster than rehearsals..one actress did panic and yelled "get us the @#$& out of here!" Did he keep that in the movie? watch it and see. Overall, a good movie to watch, especially if you, like Jimmy, like disaster flicks. VERDICT: for me, not worth owning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm, never heard of this movie. Kind of interested in it now. I'l have to see if B would be interested in a movie night with this movie! :o) Sounds a little scary.

    ReplyDelete